Publication date: Jul 17, 2019
The diagnosis of most cancers is made by a board-certified pathologist based on a tissue biopsy under the microscope. Recent research reveals a high discordance between individual pathologists. For melanoma, the literature reports on 25-26% of discordance for classifying a benign nevus versus malignant melanoma. A recent study indicated the potential of deep learning to lower these discordances. However, the performance of deep learning in classifying histopathologic melanoma images was never compared directly to human experts. The aim of this study is to perform such a first direct comparison.
A total of 695 lesions were classified by an expert histopathologist in accordance with current guidelines (350 nevi/345 melanoma). Only the haematoxylin & eosin (H&E) slides of these lesions were digitalised via a slide scanner and then randomly cropped. A total of 595 of the resulting images were used to train a convolutional neural network (CNN). The additional 100 H&E image sections were used to test the results of the CNN in comparison to 11 histopathologists. Three combined McNemar tests comparing the results of the CNNs test runs in terms of sensitivity, specificity and accuracy were predefined to test for significance (p
Hekler, A., Utikal, J.S., Enk, A.H., Solass, W., Schmitt, M., Klode, J., Schadendorf, D., Sondermann, W., Franklin, C., Bestvater, F., Flaig, M.J., Krahl, D., von Kalle, C., Fr”ohling, S., and Brinker, T.J. Deep learning outperformed 11 pathologists in the classification of histopathological melanoma images. 23433. 2019 Eur J Cancer (118):
- Pathologist-level classification of histopathological melanoma images with deep neural networks.
- Enhanced classifier training to improve precision of a convolutional neural network to identify images of skin lesions.
- Automated identification of malignancy in whole-slide pathological images: identification of eyelid malignant melanoma in gigapixel pathological slides using deep learning.
- Assessing the effectiveness of artificial intelligence methods for melanoma:A retrospective review.
- Calculated tumor area provides independent prognostic value for patients with melanoma
- Skin Lesion Segmentation in Dermoscopic Images with Combination of YOLO and GrabCut Algorithm.
- The Application of Deep Learning in the Risk Grading of Skin Tumors for Patients Using Clinical Images.