Publication date: Sep 12, 2019
Gut dysbiosis impairs response to immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICIs) and can be caused by broad-spectrum antibiotic (ATB) therapy.
To evaluate whether there is an association between ATB therapy administered concurrently (cATB) or prior (pATB) to ICI therapy and overall survival (OS) and treatment response to ICI therapy in patients with cancer treated with ICIs in routine clinical practice.
This prospective, multicenter, cohort study conducted at 2 tertiary academic referral centers recruited 196 patients with cancer who received ICI therapy between January 1, 2015, and April 1, 2018, in routine clinical practice rather than clinical trials.
Overall survival calculated from the time of ICI therapy commencement and radiologic response to ICI treatment defined using the Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (version 1.1), with disease refractory to ICI therapy defined as progressive disease 6 to 8 weeks after the first ICI dose without evidence of pseudoprogression.
Among 196 patients (137 men and 59 women; median [range] age, 68 [27-93] years) with non-small cell lung cancer (n = 119), melanoma (n = 38), and other tumor types (n = 39), pATB therapy (HR, 7.4; 95% CI, 4.3-12.8; P
Pinato, D.J., Howlett, S., Ottaviani, D., Urus, H., Patel, A., Mineo, T., Brock, C., Power, D., Hatcher, O., Falconer, A., Ingle, M., Brown, A., Gujral, D., Partridge, S., Sarwar, N., Gonzalez, M., Bendle, M., Lewanski, C., Newsom-Davis, T., Allara, E., and Bower, M. Association of Prior Antibiotic Treatment With Survival and Response to Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Therapy in Patients With Cancer. 24090. 2019 JAMA Oncol.
|pathway||BSID||Non-small cell lung cancer|
|disease||DOID||non-small cell lung cancer|
|disease||MESH||non-small cell lung cancer|
- Varied phenotypes and management of immune checkpoint inhibitor-associated neuropathies.
- In-house Implementation of Tumor Mutational Burden Testing to Predict Durable Clinical Benefit in Non-small Cell Lung Cancer and Melanoma Patients.
- Immune microenvironment modulation unmasks therapeutic benefit of radiotherapy and checkpoint inhibition.
- Treatment-Free Survival: A Novel Outcome Measure of the Effects of Immune Checkpoint Inhibition-A Pooled Analysis of Patients With Advanced Melanoma.
- Imaging challenges of immunotherapy and targeted therapy in patients with brain metastases: Response, Progression, and Pseudoprogression.