Social processes, practical issues, and COVID-19 vaccination among hesitant adults.

Publication date: Jul 07, 2023

The purpose of this study is to examine relationships between COVID-19 vaccination, social processes, and the practical issues of healthcare coverage and workplace requirements. We examine these relationships among individuals who expressed some degree of hesitancy towards receiving the vaccine. Assessing relationships between COVID-19 vaccination, social processes, and practical issues among vaccine-hesitant individuals has implications for public health policy and intervention. We analyzed weighted data from a random sample phone survey of Arkansas adults (N = 2,201) between March 1st and March 28th, 2022 and constrained our analytical sample to those who had reported some degree of vaccine hesitancy (N = 1,251). Statistical analyses included weighted and unweighted descriptive statistics, weighted bivariate logistic regressions, and a weighted multivariate logistic regression to obtain adjusted odds ratios for COVID-19 vaccination. More than two-thirds (62. 5 %) of respondents were vaccinated, despite their hesitancy. Adjusted odds of COVID-19 vaccination were greater among Black (OR = 2. 55; 95 % CI[1. 63, 3. 97]) and Hispanic respondents (OR = 2. 46; 95 % CI[1. 53, 3. 95]), respondents whose healthcare provider recommended vaccination (OR = 2. 50; 95 % CI[1. 66, 3. 77]), and as perceptions of vaccination coverage (OR = 2. 04; 95 % CI[1. 71, 2. 43]) and subjective social status increased (OR = 1. 10; 95 % CI[1. 01, 1. 19]). Adjusted odds of COVID-19 vaccination were greater among respondents with a workplace that recommended (OR = 1. 96; 95 % CI[1. 03, 3. 72]) or required vaccination (OR = 12. 62; 95 % CI[4. 76, 33. 45]) and among respondents who were not employed (OR = 1. 82; 95 % CI[1. 10, 3. 01]) compared to those whose workplace did not recommend or require COVID-19 vaccination. Some hesitant individuals become vaccinated despite their hesitancy-a group we refer to as “hesitant adopters. ” Social processes and practical issues are important correlates of vaccination among those who are hesitant. Workplace requirements appear to be of particular importance for vaccination among hesitant individuals. Provider recommendations, norms, social status, and workplace policies may be effective points of intervention among those who express vaccine hesitancy.

Concepts Keywords
Arkansas COVID-19
Hispanic Healthcare
Vaccinated Policy
Workplace Social status
Vaccine hesitancy


Type Source Name
disease MESH COVID-19
disease VO vaccination
disease VO vaccine
disease IDO intervention
disease VO vaccinated
disease VO vaccination coverage
disease VO effective

Original Article

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *